Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The Heart of Darkness thesis

I want to answer the questions, Looking through a gender lens, how does the author portray the main characters of Marlow and Kurtz to look upon women in a sexist way? How does direct characterization play part in their description of women?

quote: "Girl! What? Did I mention a girl? Oh, she is out of it -- completely. They-- they women I mean-- are out of it-- should be out of it. We must help them stay in that beautiful world of their own, lest ours gets worse." pg 125
quote: " 'My Intended, my ivory, my station, my river, my---' everything belonged to him." pg 126
quote: "The last words he pronounced was -- your name." pg 164

1 comment:

  1. Good quotes you use. Not only can you look at how woman are put down but, how men are glorified. The white men throughout the book are looked at as having so much ownership and property. What do the women have? And the only women that are talked about in the book are black women. Where white women not allowed to go to Africa because it was so dark and evil. Why would the men still associate with the black women considering their skin color? You think because they were black as well that they wouldn't associate with them. There was a really good quote one Pg 81 where the women were described as wearing colors, like a dog. They spoke of them as being animals as well and there was also that repetition of the black motif when Marlow peaks of their hair. Just something to look at.

    ReplyDelete