Friday, February 7, 2014

TED Talk Topics
Define what it means to be a big sister.
I want to talk about the different struggles and rewards of being a big sister. I would relate my talk to my own personal experiences in life with my family in a narrative way. I would like to also capture the attention of the audience whether they are an older sibling or not by using comedy but also seriousness.

Define what it means to be a teammate.
Because Sports have been the biggest part of my life I would like to talk about what it means to be a teammate. I would like to talk about the different obstacles I have over came by being on a team and also the success and rewards it has brought into my life.  I would talk about how sports have impacted my life and how they have made me the person I am today.

How to avoid doing housework and cleaning your room.
This would be more of a process definition essay on the numerous things you could do to put off doing work around the house and cleaning your room because when I asked my mom on what I should write about that is what she said. Apparently Im really good at it and procrastination.

Argue about college tuition expenses and how they are too high.
I really wouldn't get into this as much as I would my other topics it was just something that I thought the whole class could relate too.

School uniforms?

2 comments:

  1. Hanna, my two favorite topics are the one about you being a big sister and the teammate one. I know you could talk about so much with being a big sister, what it entails, how its hard, what's so great about it and of course share some great stories because I know you have some. The teammate one is also good though because you have so much experience with that. Being captain of three teams gives you such a good sense of it and lots of examples to go off of. I like the one about your room too because it's so true. But I still would go with the big sister one or the teammate one. Goodluck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The two I like the most:

    First - big sister. I love the idea of you examining family from a personal perspective and relating it to a broader idea of "what does family do for us?" You could look at a personalized sister relationship and compare it to brothers (interview time!) as well as how it helps a young woman growing up to have this kind of support.

    Second - Procrastination. You have such a wry sense of humor that you could have a really good time building a process speech out of that, with a whole lot of cause/effect and narrative built in. This also begs for a solid conclusion where you label the good things - sure, we see this kind of procrastination as a bad thing...but what future good do you see from it? I can almost see you playing this out as a large stand-up routine.

    ReplyDelete